Sunday, July 19, 2009

Society: Evolving into stupidity?

Recently I was at a house party in Chinatown. I'm not really into gatherings at houses or apartments - I'd much rather be in a bar or sitting at home in front of the tv, but I went to this party anyhow. I'm sitting at the counter eating Doritos and anything else I can get my hands on when I look around the room and realize who is at this party. I think I'm a pretty successful person, but being in the company of these folks, I realize I am probably the youngest, dumbest and least successful person in the room.

Guests:
  • The Dean of the Pharmacogenomics program at George Washington University (his wife wasn't there, because she's a doctor at Georgetown hospital and had a night shift)
  • A doctor of genetics and his wife, an NCIS agent (both incredibly athletic)
  • A surgeon and his wife, an ER physician (he can run a marathon in 3:15, she in about 3:40 - incredible times)
  • A GS-15 electrical engineer for the FCC, single, drives an awesome BMW (that's right ladies, you should snatch this one up!)
  • An account executive for Accenture (He works out all the time, but not to be athletic, but so he can drink and eat whatever he wants and go nuts and still be skinny)
  • Another doctor of genetics, who works with fruit flies doing god knows what, and her husband, who works in a biology lab at Georgetown, doing god knows what

NOTE: Like me, none of these people have children, and most of them are pushing 40.

The evening quickly diverged into taking shots of some scary clear liquid that was purchased on the side of the road in the Philippines. And I started thinking big, mean thoughts.

Me: No one in this room has kids.

Dean of Pharmacogenomics: Yup.

Me: Isn't there something wrong with that? Shouldn't you all be reproducing? To increase the quality of the genes in the genetic pool?

Dean: We have no time to have kids.

Me: Unless the people in this room have kids, our society is going to get dumber and dumber.

Dean: Agreed. I imagine this is the case all over the place. Especially in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. All the smart people have no time to have kids, leaving the dumb people to do all the procreating.

Me: Right. The people I went to high school with all have kids now, and they shouldn't be the ones furthering our society. Trust me - most of them work at gas stations and didn't go to college. Shouldn't the people in this room be required to have children, to further humankind?

Dean: Probably.

This got me thinking more broadly.
  • My boss is an incredibly intelligent woman. No kids
  • My boss' boss is an incredibly intelligent man. No kids
  • Countless, intelligent friends without kids.
I also read an article yesterday about how the Y chromosome is degrading, meaning that scientists think men are becoming rarer, and possibly obsolete. Scary, eh? So not only are we losing our men, we're all becoming dumber.

And then I read an article about a shooting rampage in Tennessee (my home state), and one of the quotes read (I am not kidding), "I wouldn't expect nothing like this to happen," she said.
I'm sure this woman has a whole roost of children, and she can't even put a sentence together.

I'm scared for the future of humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment