Monday, July 13, 2009

Management Excellence

About two weeks ago, I spent several hours putting together a powerpoint presentation on "Management Excellence" at my USG job. I talked about how my agency has too many platforms, meaning separate bureaus duplicate services already offered by another bureau, and how if we cut down on these duplications by creating a "Non-Duplication" officer, we will save craploads of money. Tax dollars. Also, consolidating these services will allow for greater security and streamlining of efforts and upgrades, allowing everyone in my 70,000 person agency to operate on the same page.

Tada! This went over extremely well with the Secretary of my agency. She loved it. Said she wanted me to write a magazine article about it. Said she wanted to have a big event showcasing it.

So what does she do?

A week later she gives a big speech about how our agency needs to take a look at how we do business, and determine if we are organized properly to do the work of the President.

I think it's smart the Secretary wants to ensure our resources are properly aligned with our goals, but at the same time, couldn't she have brought up this speech when we were talking about Management Excellence? How can we make sure we're on the same page if she doesn't even tell us about the speech until the day before it happens?

No comments:

Post a Comment